Thursday, January 14, 2016

Paul Zindel Reviews

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/PaulZindel.gifPaul Zindel was an incredible writer. He had touched the lives of many, myself included, and has ignited a sense of creating characters that are not standardized by any means.

I didn't fully start getting into Paul Zindel books until my senior year of high school in which I read all his classic YA's while struggling with homework and college expense worries. I was lucky that my high school library practically carried all of his books (even though towards the end they seemed to be disappearing--the high school librarians weren't fond of me and my friend bumming around in there during lunch, I suspect).

I was first introduced The Pigman in my 7th grade remedial reading class, so I wasn't quite too sure if anyone else in regular the 7th grade reading classes got a chance to read the book because my friends at the time never mentioned it once.

I don't really remember what I thought when I first read The Pigman. I know I didn't immediately think he was a literary genius or that I had to get my hands on every book he's written since then, but I do recall it's display of an older adult getting along with two teen misfits and how interesting that was since most books I have read before didn't show such a dynamic that adults and kids could be friends. And I don't know what made me want to read his other books besides the fact that they were all in my high school library--easy access!

So here I go--I am making it a "life" goal to write a review for all of his YA classics, so I will not be discussing his middle grade adventure books or his playwriting (with exception of two).

This list (not in order of what I will be reviewing) is as follows:

The Pigman
The Pigman's Legacy
The Pigman and Me
My Darling, My Hamburger
Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball!
The Undertaker's Gone Bananas
Confessions of a Teenage Baboon
The Amazing and Death-Defying Diary of Eugene Dingman
A Begonia For Miss Applebaum
I Never Loved Your Mind
Harry and Hortense at Hormone High
The Girl Who Wanted a Boy
David & Della
To Take a Dare
A Star for the Latecomer
Love & Centipedes (short story from Places I Never Meant to Be)
The Effects of Gamma Rays On Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds (play)
Every Seventeen Minutes the Crowd Goes Crazy (play)

As I post these reviews I will update this page with link and dates.

I also want to leave with this blog post of author A.S. King, discussing how Paul Zindel's works have helped her with her own writing. I read this long before I read her novel Please Ignore Vera Dietz and I can gladly say I see the inspiration in her works: A.S. King on Paul Zindel

Wish me the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment